Obviously, this is totally dependant on your definition of "healthy," but the healthy version allows me to eat totally guilt-free and keeps me full! Both are delicious and just depend on what you're in the mood for or what your goals are! Feel free to pick your own adventure and take a trip down both journeys as I did.
The following ingredients italicized and bold are only necessary for the "not so healthy" version.
Yields: 4-6 servings
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 shallot, diced
1/4 cup of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 cup of baby spinach
1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar
Salt and pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 bunch of chives, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons of butter, room temp
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
Bacon bits ( I recommend cooking your own bacon for this but no hate, no shade)
2 tablespoons of sour cream (or greek yogurt)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Wash the potatoes well, then pierce them several times with a fork and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli and cauliflower for 7 minutes - I use a steamer basket over a pot of simmering water with the lid on. Once they're tender, set aside to cool.
4. Sauté the shallots over medium heat and season with salt. Once translucent and brown around the edges, add the mushrooms and cook until they're brown.
5. Add the spinach, sherry vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until the spinach has fully wilted. Take the mix off the heat and set it aside.
6. Once the potatoes are done, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool. Once cooled, cut them lengthwise all the way in half into 8 "boats". Scoop out the flesh and place the insides in a mixing bowl. Season the boats with salt and pepper and place them in a casserole dish.
This is the moment to decide if you want healthy, not so healthy, or both! If you want to make both, split the potatoes into 2 bowls and divide your broccoli, cauliflower, mushroom mix, and other toppings that go on both. Otherwise just continue with one bowl and the recipe you've chosen
7. Healthy filling: mix the potatoes with the broccoli, cauliflower, mushroom mixture, scallions, and chives
8. Not-So-Healthy filling: mix your potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, mushroom mixture, scallions, and chives plus the butter and cheese.
9. Scoop the filling back into your potato boats. Top the Not-So-Healthy version with bacon bits, and place the dish in the oven for 5 minutes until cheese is melted. You can top with sour cream or greek yogurt if that's to your taste. Enjoy!